For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
Hebrews 4:12 ESV
I didn't memorize scripture as an adult until 2013. I'm not even sure how we heard about it, but some friends and I joined a Beth Moore scripture memory team. I certainly knew who Beth Moore was by then, but I didn't grow up in a church where she was a regular name and the ladies were always doing her Bible studies. So I didn't sign up because it was her program--I signed up because it seemed simple, my friends were doing it, and it seemed better than the current method I was using to memorize scripture (which was to not memorize it at all).
The program was exactly what it claimed to be--simple--and I surprised myself by actually sticking with it. I'd had a pretty tough couple of years at the time, but by the end of 2013 I knew 24 verses about fear, peace, and God's faithfulness. Those verses wrote themselves on my heart and I came to discover that the word of God is indeed alive and active.
That was 9 years ago, but those verses continue to grow in my heart and impact me today. When I am scared, anxious, or need to pray, I find that God puts the right scripture on my heart just when I need it, as if those words belong to me as solid truth now.
My notebook from that 2013 program is never far from me. It either stays in my purse or in my beside table. That's how much those verses mean to me.
I've had an intensely difficult couple of years, full of trauma, loss, and constant changes. I trust many of you can relate. But through it all, God's word and the Gospel of Jesus have stood firm. I haven't always felt good. But the truth that I know has won out over the emotions that I have felt (though it is ok to feel emotions, God is the creator of those too).
I've learned many verses since 2013, but something about that program was special. As I thought about all this and the difficulties of the last couple of years, I knew I could benefit from a similar experience and thought others might like to join me. If this sounds like something you would enjoy, I hope you'll join me and invite your friends! We'll keep things super simple, because we don't have to make it complicated. God's Word speaks for itself and will always do the work in us.
- You will commit to learn two verses a month. Not two passages--just two verses. This pace is doable and at the end of the year you'll know 22 verses!
- This is totally free. All you'll need is a small notebook. I prefer one that is index card sized.
- We will primarily use a private Facebook group to communicate. On the 1st and the 15th of each month I will post the verse I've chosen and you will post your verse as a comment on my post. *I'll give more details in the group itself, but it will be simple.
- I'll also use my Instagram Account to share my own verses throughout the month, to continue to invite people into the group, and to share a bit about what I'm learning at times.
- Lead in posting verses on the 1st and 15th of each month.
- Occasionally offer some tips for committing scripture to memory.
- Offer some thoughts for holding yourself accountable to doing this through the end of 2022.
- Occasionally offer some collections of verses that have encouraged me on different topics. Examples-anxiety, waiting, joy, hope.
- Possibly post a low quality video if I feel I have some thoughts I want to share.
*I will do these things from time to time, but mostly I'll let the verses speak for themselves. I don't want this to feel like a lot to do or read.
A Few Other Things:
- This is not a Bible study and I am not a Bible teacher, at least not at this point in my life. However, I do love the Gospel of Jesus and hope to live life in a way that encourages others to want to know God more. I hope this does that!
- This is not and will not become a debate group in any way. If people are unkind I will remove them from the group.
- Everyone is welcome. Please feel free to come just as you are. Even if you don't know what you believe, but just know you could use some positive thoughts, please feel free to join!
- I'm a Licensed Professional Counselor and believe God offers healing in a great number of ways, including professional therapy and medication. You will never be made to feel that your problems will go away if you'd just pray and read the Bible "more" or "better". I'm sorry if someone has made you feel this way in the past.
- Find and follow me on Instagram at @whitneycaves. Send me a direct message saying you'd like to join the group and I'll send you a Facebook invite. *Don't worry if you don't know how to operate Facebook well, neither do I. I have excellent tech support in my home (my husband) and we'll get it figured out!
- If you do not have Instagram please email me at [email protected].
In a world that has felt shaky for awhile now, I'm confident the Word of God and the Gospel of Jesus will always stand firm. It's where we'll always find real joy, real hope, and real contentment. I hope you'll consider memorizing scripture with me this year. We will officially start on February 1st!